Monday, September 9, 2013

BEING THERE by TK Rapp






BEING THERE by TK Rapp
Release Date – July 2, 2013

BEING THERE was an incredibly pleasant surprise and in my opinion the sleeper hit of the summer. If you have not read this book, it is a must for your TBR list. The way that TK put together this story and intertwined the characters was not only beautiful, it caused moments of heartbreak, elation, tears and joy. You wouldn’t know this was her first book by reading it.

Cass Howard is an editor at a small publishing house in Houston. A hard worker, incredibly driven and lacking much of a social life, Cass finds herself often taken advantage of by her boss and less than focused co-workers. She has a penchant for lists, Elvis and avoiding her real name Prudence Cassiopia Howard.

Drew Alexander had been Cass’ best male friend since sophomore year in high school. After a falling out in college, the two have not spoken in 5 years.

Nevaeh Evans is a transfer student to Cass’ high school. They have a chance meeting at the mall and become BFFs in short order. Nev is everything that Cass is not, or thinks she’s not. Gorgeous, leggy, edgy and oozing style, Nev has a level of confidence that has eluded her best friend.

Luke is Nevaeh’s boyfriend. Only dating a short time, their relationship moves to the next level when she invites him along on her and Cass’ girls weekend.

The story opens in the waiting room of Cass’ doctor’s office. Cass is nervous because this is not a routine medical appointment, she is here to receive test results for a health issue that she wishes was never discovered.
After receiving her diagnosis, Cass over imbibes in wine to drown her sorrows. This momentary lapse in judgement causes her to not only take a walk down memory lane, but also participate in some drunk social media postings that leads to a private messaging session with an old friend.
Being There moves back and forth from high school, college and the present, while filling in the blanks of how the characters are where and who they are. The highs, lows, joys, fears, betrayals, and deep friendships will take you through a gamut of emotions. Keep the tissues handy, eye dabbing is guaranteed.

TK Rapp and I spent some time over the weekend asking and answering questions about her book.

RMWTPC – As a new author, what prompted you to take the plunge and write this book?

TK Rapp – I can remember always thinking that I would love to write a book someday. But like most people, my dreams were pushed to the side while living life. It was always there, peeking around the corner, reminding me that the desire was still there. I have started so many stories, but they were all over the place, so I never finished them. I would tell my mom that I wanted to write, and she’d say, “go for it.” I’d mention it to my friends, and they would say the same. But there was still the fear of the unknown. So I pushed it back again.

Fortunately, as the number of self-published writers carved their path, the opportunities for others, such as myself, became, not easier, but more of a possibility. This year, I turned 35, and I made a bucket list. Number one on my list was to write a novel. I decided, I can sit here and dream about writing, or I can actually write. Once I started, it was the most natural thing I have done in years. My only goal was to write it, the publishing part was something I figured I would decide later. And at the encouragement of my family and friends, I hit that scary button.

RMWTPC – Your story takes Cass through treatment for breast cancer. Did you hope to raise awareness for this disease, and the importance of monthly self-examination?

TK Rapp – Honestly, that was not on the forefront of my mind when writing. I know many women, including myself, who have had scares when doing self-examinations. Everything you go through, imagining the worst and preparing for the “what ifs,” is terrifying. I’m grateful that mine was just that, a scare. But so many times, it’s not.

My mom and I met a woman years ago that was not so lucky. She had received treatment and was in remission, only to have a relapse, and the second time, it was devastating. The times I would see her, or communicate with her, I was so amazed by her grace and dignity; her priority was her children, first and foremost, and I found her to her an inspiration. Sadly, she passed away, and I think of her every year on her birthday and hope her children know how much she loved them. It’s scary how prevalent all forms of cancer are these days. It is truly one of my biggest fears.

Cancer.org estimates that over 36 thousand women will die from breast cancer in 2013. So for me, self-examination is important. Just like knowing my body is important. And if this book can serve as a reminder to others to listen to their body, then I’m happy with that.

RMWTPC – The references to Elvis throughout your book were so much fun. Are you a die hard Elvis fan like Cass is? Have you been to Graceland?
TK Rapp – LOL! Actually, I am! His birthday is the day before mine, so I always felt a strange “connection,” to Elvis. When my daughter was 8 months old, we went to see an Elvis impersonator in Myrtle Beach. That was the first time she ever clapped and I knew it was a sign. J
We were actually able to go to Graceland about eight years ago when we took my husband’s grandmother, who was about 80, at the time. She lived near Memphis all her life and told us she had seen it, so getting to experience that with her was awesome and she loved it. I love old movies, pretty much any musical, etc., and I have passed this on to my kids. They will pick an Elvis movie over almost anything else.

RMWTPC – Drew and Cass seem to miss their opportunities to take their relationship to the next level and get stuck in a frustrating friendship rut. Do you believe that men and women can have true and lasting friendships without the complications of love and physical attraction? How and why?

TK Rapp – Frustrating is an understatement. LOL! Drew and Cass were exasperating! She annoyed me that she didn’t take the opportunity when it presented itself, even though she really wanted to. But I can also understand the fear of ruining a great friendship. It’s really tough.

A guy friend once told me that guys and girls can’t be just friends, the whole,…one of them has feelings for the other… theory. I didn’t really believe that because I had plenty of guy friends, several of my best friends were guys, and it never seemed to be an issue. The lines were very clear.

I do believe that guys and girls can be just friends. However, if one of them starts getting in a serious relationship with someone else, I think the new love interest will inevitably get jealous, causing a rift in either the relationship or the friendship.

RMWTPC – Will Being There become a book series and what can we expect from you next?

TK Rapp – I loved writing this book, so much. I love Drew and Cass and I saw them walk off into the sunset. However, I’ve had several people ask what’s next for them. Right now, I just don’t see anything left to tell, but we’ll see.
I have two books that I’m working on, and I hope to have the first of them done by the end of October. They are both standalones and very different from each other.

**Thank you Lisa for having me!! You are so amazing and I appreciate everything that you are doing. I can’t wait to meet you in St. Louis!!** (And yes, I Love that movie!!)

You can follow TK on her blog at: http://modestview.wordpress.com

On facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/T.K.Rapp.Author

And you can purchase her books on:

Amazon at: http://www.amazon.com/Being-There-ebook/dp/B00DR735T6/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=8-5&qid=1378695375

Barnes & Noble at: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/being-there-tk-rapp/1116156997?ean=2940044644564

Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/334436



No comments:

Post a Comment